Experiments in Weirdness Episode 1: Love Games

 In this series, "Experiments in Weirdness," I will examine the weirder, darker corners of filmmaking. I do not mean anything negative by calling these films "weird". Many of the films will be artistic, short films by serious and respected artists. Others will be utter trash.


What I have done is to create a list you can find here:


Random Weirdness Generator https://boxd.it/cUdCo


I will randomly select a film from this list and watch it. Mostly I will try to provide my real-time comments.


Another real-time disaster:

Given the drug use in this I would prefer to watch under conditions where I can rip my bong first. But I am watching this before work. The things we do for our obsessions...

But this is the promise I made, to watch everything on this list randomly.

Dude in this movie looks like he's related to the lead singer of the Wonders...

Going by the 10 minute rule - by 10 minutes in you can decide if you like it or not... I like it so far

Wow this is very subversive. Or at least it wants to be...

Okay shit just got weird

Reprehensible, unlikable characters... Yay!

It's funny how the movie is saying curse words but the subtitles are redacted...

It's the original audio but its mixed language. Some is English and some is Indian. Occasionally an English curse word slips out as well

So far... Not very erotic. This was made by someone who does not seem to understand eroticism.

Okay so this guy who has been cutting himself and stalking a doctor whose lawyer husband beats her... Hands her a tape where he sang a song to explain how he wants to heal and change... I wonder if the autotune is what she heard or if it's just for the audience benefit...

Is this made for TV? It feels like it's made for TV

I'm enjoying its awfulness of it all

It has an intermission but the transition is so clumsily edited

So this movie features Indian Jonathan Schaesch falling in love with Indian Selena Gomez.

I can see that this movie is trying to play with tropes and cliches but the director is not deft in his handling of the material and the acting is...yikes

It's trying to do too much at once... Make a statement about self harm but also be an erotic/party movie but also be subversive but also do a "Gentleman's Agreement"/Strangers on a Train kind of thing...And it's all a jumbled mess

So far there have been about 4 different plot lines each of which would have made a sufficient film but instead they tried to do them all at once

And this lady is not practicing proper trigger discipline!

I love when a movie title has its own tagline

Going into the final act, I feel some kind of twist coming...

The worst crime a film can commit is to be boring and at least this film isn't boring. It has kept me engaged.

And oh my god this becomes Double Jeopardy in the end!

I gotta say though I kind of liked how the twist played out in the end. I saw the setup 100 miles away. But the ending does redeem the film somewhat.

So let's list the movies this was trying to be... Vertigo, Strangers on a Train/Gentleman's Agreement, Double Jeopardy...Dangerous Liaisons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Rock! Decoding David Lynch, One Film at a Time: Episode 2 - The Elephant Man

 Programme: Music video: River of Dreams - Billy Joel Short subject: Radar Men on the Moon - Chapter 8 The Enemy Planet Cartoon: Looney Tune...