I am starting a new series, "Experiments in Weirdness." In this series I will examine the weirder, darker corners of filmmaking. I do not mean anything negative by calling these films "weird". Many of the films will be artistic, short films by serious and respected artists. Others will be utter trash.
What I have done is to create a ranked list you can find here:
Random Weirdness Generator https://boxd.it/cUdCo
I will randomly select a film from this list and watch it. Mostly I will try to provide my real-time comments.
I do not seek to judge, but to explore. With that, my real-time thoughts for Love Feast.
Wow. Psychedelic sleaze.
Just when you think you've seen everything...
Edward Wood is Mr. Murphy. Sleazeball as he is he's a better actor than a writer/director...
This is uncomfortable.
Seeing much more of Edward D. Wood Jr. than I ever thought I would...
Almost seeing Ed's Wood...
Multiple times. For most of the movie. So yay for that.
At least the girls randomly jumping the taxi driver's bones is believable. Less so is Wood's sleazy photographer getting laid because he (barely) sweet talks a girl into having a tryst that eventually spirals into a full-on orgy.
There is a wry humor to the proceedings.
It doesn't take itself seriously.
I do so love late-night excursions into depraved cult films.
This is little more than an ever-increasing pile of girls. One woman comes in after another. Thus Love Feast.
But it has a charm somehow, a unique quality to it that lies somewhere between disgust and fascination
The main factor is to have fun with it, and I had a good time, that's what matters. Even if it is poorly photographed and edited with a chainsaw
Holy shit though, I just checked the time. I was sure it was about 45-50 out of 59 minutes. 38.
Almost there.
Even if it is completely pointless - I mean it's not porn. It's completely pointless and in the end no one is satisfied...
And then two plumbers show up out of nowhere
One of them looks like Nicholas Brenden
Free love, y'all
Okay. This actually seems to be headed towards a twist/reversal.
Where the women turn the tables on this slimeball and take agency over their sexuality, dominating that which had once dominated them.
Fuck.
This actually has a point?!?!
I mean, it could just be his kink.
But still.
The hell.
A nudie film managed to blow my mind.
And actually made me think. I mean the orgyistic mass of writhing bodies loses any hint of eroticism yet when Murphy is made to submit to the women near the end there is a structure, almost formality to the composition and editing, accompanied by the almost ritualistic presentation which could play to people who have such inclinations.
I kind of feel like I'm losing my mind. This is just sheer weirdness.
NGL the short 60 minute run time drags a bit near the end.
This even has subtextual levels due to Wood's love of cross-dressing!
It's a fucking onion!
This is a great start to my weekend weirdness!
No comments:
Post a Comment