Archive Post: The Invisible Woman (1940), A Cinematic Failure in Reel-Time

Dear readers, I would like to introduce a new feature. Whenever a movie is bad enough I post in the Criterion discord and make my thoughts known in real time. So ladies and gentlemen, I give you

Thoughts on a Cinematic Failure, in Reel-Time:

What the hell even is this movie!

This movie is wild. It's uneven, all over the place... And at times boring yet, a bit entertaining. Still partway through though so...

...just realized one of the gangsters is Shemp fuckin' Howard!

There's 12 minutes left. At 1:12 it's a bit on the long side.

I cracked myself up with that remark. That comment made me laugh more than this movie did, and it's (supposedly) a comedy.

Who... How... Why?

Why are there gangsters trying to steal an invention? Why?

Nothing but Trouble was more fun than this. At least it tried.

And then the butler empties a fish bowl on the millionaire playboy to wake him up after he'd been attacked by gangsters who want to steal an invisible-making machine. Yeah, that happened. In a movie.

So yeah. They actually put this on blu-ray.

It's not even bad enough to be so bad it's good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Rock! Decoding David Lynch, One Film at a Time: Episode 2 - The Elephant Man

 Programme: Music video: River of Dreams - Billy Joel Short subject: Radar Men on the Moon - Chapter 8 The Enemy Planet Cartoon: Looney Tune...